Orchids are a diverse group of flowering plants found all over the world. The flowers usually are composed of 3 petals, with one forming a “lip” (see picture below).
- Orchids have a variety of highly specialized pollination systems with insects, including flowers that resemble insects themselves to attract insects as pollinators
- Orchids have adapted to a variety of climates, and can be found almost anywhere on earth.
- Orchids have a very fine pollen that finds its way to many surfaces
- Some Orchids grow as epiphytes, growing on top of other organisms, sometimes high up in the forest canopy
- A single pod of seeds can contain 3 million seeds
- Orchids are very diverse and are believed to be the largest family of flowering plants
- Vanilla is a commercially grown orchid
(Picture: www.ctu.edu.vn )