Red Pitcher Plant
Native to: Southern Asia
Type: Lowland Tropical Pitcher Plant
- This plant is carnivorous, trapping and digesting small insects in its pitchers, adapted from low nutrient soils.
- The modified leaves form a hollow structure that appear as pitchers with a deep cavity with a pool of water at the base. The plant secretes digestive enzymes that digest the prey once it’s trapped in the liquid pool.
- The rim of the pitcher secretes nectars, which attract the prey into the pitcher.
- Pitchers: hanging leaves that form hollow tubular pitchers
- Rim of the pitcher. Note its waxy surface, which causes insects to slip into the pitcher
- If pitchers are living, ook inside and note features
(picture: ibanorum.netfirms.com )
(Picture: travel.mongabay.com )