Native to: India
Type: Cycad, type of Gymnosperm
- The plant produces neurotoxins that can paralyze or even kill animals that graze on the plant.
- Leaves, note the spiny stem with protruding leaves
- Note the top of the plant, where a cone forms (see picture)
- A type of flour can be produced from the seeds of this plant. The seed needs to be prepared in a special way (sun dried, soaked, etc.)t o prevent the toxic effects mentioned above
- This plant is pollinated by insects, although it does not flower
- This plant is monoecious, with plants being either completely female or male.
- Cycads are Gymnosperms, and although they are less common today, they used to make up the landscape and the diet of Dinosaurs in the Jurassic period.